home home Get a form or publication home Publications by subject home Tax Topics home E-file and E-pay Frequently asked Questions and Answers E-file and E-pay Frequently asked Questions and Answers

Q.  Am I required to file and pay my excise taxes electronically?
A.  If you file monthly or quarterly, or meet the requirements for filing monthly or quarterly, you must file and pay your returns electronically.    


Q.  What if I can’t file or pay my tax return electronically? 
A.  If you are unable to file and pay your return electronically, you may request a temporary waiver.  Temporary waivers will be considered for the following reasons:

  • You don’t have a computer.
  • You do not have access to the internet using your own computer.
  • You do not have a bank account or a credit card.
  • Your bank is unable to send or receive electronic funds transfer transactions.


Q.  How do I apply for a temporary waiver? 
A. To apply for a temporary waiver, please send a written explanation detailing the reason(s) why you can’t file or pay your return electronically to the following address:  
            E-file Team
            Department of Revenue
            PO Box 47476
            Olympia, WA 98504-7476
If your request is granted, you will not have to file or pay your return electronically while your waiver is valid.


Q.  If I am granted a temporary waiver because I don’t have a bank account or credit card; do I still have to file electronically?
A.  No. If you are granted a waiver for one of the reasons listed above, it will apply to both filing and paying electronically.


Q.  When do waivers expire?
A.  Waivers expire on June 30, three years after they are issued. For example, a waiver issued any time in 2014 is valid until June 30, 2017.


Q.  Do I need to reapply for an exemption each year?
A. No. An exemption is valid for up to 3 years.


Q.  What if I file my return electronically by the due date and send a paper check for payment?
A.  You are required to both file and pay your taxes electronically. Failure to do so may result in penalties.


Q.  What if I initiate an electronic payment but send in a paper tax return?
A.  You are required to both file and pay your taxes electronically.  Failure to do so may result in penalties.


Q.  My accountant files my return using E-file. How do I electronically pay and still have my accountant prepare my return and file it electronically?
A.  There are 3 possible solutions:
Accounting firm initiates payment– If you register for electronic funds transfer (EFT) and select the EFT Debit option, your accountant can submit your return and your payment will be automatically withdrawn from your bank account on the date you select. You may sign-up for EFT at http://dor.wa.gov/eft or under the “Invoices & Payment Options” in My account, the secure portion of Revenue’s web site.

You initiate payment using a separate logon ID– You and your accounting firm set-up separate logon IDs for your business. Your logon should be the administrator on the account. If you do not want your accountant to have the ability to pay the return, your accountant should have preparer status. The accounting firm can prepare your return, and then you log on, submit it and pay the taxes due.

You initiate payment by contacting your bank- If you sign up for EFT Credit, your accountant can file the return. Then you contact your bank to initiate the payment to DOR.


Q.  Why did the Legislature require monthly and quarterly taxpayers to file and pay their taxes electronically?
A. There are many good reasons for business to file and pay electronically. Over 200,000 Washington businesses currently file their state excise taxes online using Revenue’s E-file system. Among the many benefits to filing electronically are:

  • 24/7 access to your tax return and payment system.
  • Instant delivery of the return.
  • Automatic error checking.
  • Ability to upload information from other software.


Q.  Can I change methods of electronic payment? 
A.  Yes. If you are not required to pay using electronic funds transfer (EFT), you can choose which electronic payment method to use.  The choices are:

  • EFT Debit
  • EFT Credit
  • Credit Card
  • E-Check

Those who wish to use EFT Debit or EFT Credit need to submit an EFT authorization first. Taxpayers who are required to pay using EFT will not have the credit card or E-Check options.


Q.  What if my computer crashes or there is a problem accessing the Internet?
A.  Taxpayers should contact the Department of Revenue to request an extension prior to the due date. Please call the E-file help line at 1-877-345-3353.


Q.  What if I need assistance learning to electronically file my taxes?
A.  For assistance with E-file, please call 1-877-345-3353. We will be happy to help you.