home home Get a form or publication home Publications by subject home Tax Topics home Taxes on medical marijuana and related products Taxes on medical marijuana and related products

Applying for a retail license and medical endorsement

The Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB) will soon begin accepting applications for retail marijuana licenses, including medical endorsements. When the LCB is ready to accept applications, the applications will be available through the Department’s Business Licensing Service. Interested applicants should visit the LCB’s website to learn about the application process: http://www.liq.wa.gov/mjlicense/marijuana-licensing.

Priority one and two applicants will need to submit a tax status letter from the Department. See our webpage on requesting a tax status letter. (See LCB’s webpage on Priority Criteria to learn more about applicant priorities. You may also contact LCB directly at (360) 664-1600.)

Applicants may also need to verify that their business maintained a state business registration (license) and was in operation before January 1, 2013. You can do this by using our business lookup tool.


If you sell medical marijuana, medibles and/or cannabis-infused products or provide them by donation, you owe taxes to the Department of Revenue.

Consumer sales and donations of marijuana and related products are considered retail sales (RCW 82.04.050) and the sales price or value of the transaction is subject to retail sales tax.

Organizations that sell or provide medical marijuana products must register with the Department of Revenue, collect and remit retail sales tax on consumer transactions, and pay the appropriate business and occupation tax.

Limited tax exemptions apply

These products do not qualify for either the sales tax exemption for prescription drugs or the sales tax exemption for food and food ingredients. None of Washington’s tax preferences for agricultural products or property tax incentives apply to marijuana businesses.

How to file and pay your taxes

Log on to Revenue’s My Account to file your monthly returns. You must file a tax return each month, even if you had no business activity for the prior month.

You can also pay your taxes electronically through My Account.

Businesses that cannot pay electronically must apply for a waiver and, in the meantime, pay their taxes by check, money order or cash.

Mail checks to:

Washington State Department of Revenue
PO Box 47464
Olympia WA 98504-7464

Cash payments – where to pay

You may pay your taxes in cash at any Revenue office. Appointments are highly encouraged for tax payments of $20,000 or more. Please schedule your appointment before the due date. We encourage early payments (before the 25th) if using cash. Penalties may apply if you don’t pay your taxes by the 25th. See Requirements for making cash payments.