More Washington businesses will soon be required to file excise tax returns on a monthly basis. Businesses with an annual excise tax liability over $4,800 were notified by the Department that they must report monthly beginning with the October 2010 Excise Tax Return due November 25, 2010.
Electronic filing is mandatory
Monthly filers are required to file and pay electronically per Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 82.32.080.
How to register for My Account and file electronically
If you have a business that does not already file and pay your return electronically, follow the steps below to sign up for E-file.
- Go to our Mandatory E-file page where you will find several tools available to help you, including:
- Screens of the “My Account” registration process and E-file system.
- A guide on “How to file and pay your Washington State business taxes electronically.”
- Information on how to sign up for electronic reminders of due dates and tax rate changes.
- An explanation of your electronic payment options.
- Click the “Join” link in the upper right corner.
Note: You will need your Tax Registration Number and Pre-assigned Access Code.
- Follow the prompts to create your online account.
- On the “My account” home page, click “File return” next to the return you wish to file.
If you have questions, call our Business Registration Section at (360) 902-7180
You may request a waiver
Businesses that are unable to file and pay electronically may request a temporary waiver. A temporary waiver is valid until June 30 the year after it is issued. Reasons why a temporary waiver may be granted include:
- no computer
- no access to the internet
- no bank account or credit card
- your bank is unable to send or receive electronic funds transfer transactions
To request a temporary waiver, send a letter explaining your situation to:
Electronic Filing and Payment Team
Department of Revenue
PO Box 47476
Olympia, WA 98504-7476
Businesses who are willing to E-file and E-pay, but would prefer to remain quarterly filers will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To find out if you qualify, call 1-800-647-7706.