home home Questions & answers home Question Question
Enter keyword(s):   
Browse By Category Advanced Search

Q:  Are custom farmers eligible for the replace parts for farm machinery and equipment exemption?


Generally, a custom farmer does not meet the definition of an “eligible farmer” and would not qualify for the exemption.  To qualify as an “eligible farmer” a person must grow, raise, or produce an agricultural product on his or her own land or have a present right of possession to the land, and generate $10,000 in gross sales of such products.

A custom farmer makes sales of his or her services rather than making sales of agricultural products. A person that merely provides custom farming services is not an “eligible farmer” and would not qualify for the sales tax exemption.

More information
Special Notice: Replacements Parts for Farm Machinery and Equipment - Sales and Use Tax Exemption (pdf)
Agriculture guide
Related questions & answers
Can an eligible farmer get a refund for sales tax paid on purchases of qualifying replacement parts for farm equipment and machinery?
Does a farmer who has not filed his or her previous year federal income tax return have to wait until the return is filed before applying for an exemption certificate?
How well did this answer your question?
 5 - Very well
 1 - Not at all