home home Questions & answers home Question Question
Enter keyword(s):   
Browse By Category Advanced Search

Q:  I rent items from a local party supply store then I bill my customers for the rented items separately from catering charges. The party supply store will not accept my reseller permit and charges me sales tax. Is this correct?


Yes. People performing catering services must pay retail sales or use tax on the purchase or rental of all items used in performing the service. The tax applies even if a separate charge is made to customers for use of those items.

More information
Restaurants and Retailers of Prepared Food guide
WAC 458-20-102
Related questions & answers
As a catering company, I often serve customers out of my local area. Do I charge sales tax based on my location or my customer's location?
How well did this answer your question?
 5 - Very well
 1 - Not at all