home home Questions & answers home Question Question
Enter keyword(s):   
Browse By Category Advanced Search

Q:  I'm a foreign resident that visited Washington recently. Can I get a refund for sales tax I paid on goods purchased in Washington and taken back to my foreign home?

A:  No. You are not eligible for a refund of sales tax paid if you took delivery of the goods in this state. An exemption is provided for certain nonresidents. Refer to ETA 3054.2011 (pdf) for a listing of the places where residents can qualify for an exemption from Washington sales tax.
More information
Excise Tax Advisory (ETA) 3054.2011 (pdf)
RCW 82.08.0273
Buyers Retail Sales Tax Exemption Certificate (pdf)
How well did this answer your question?
 5 - Very well
 1 - Not at all