home home Questions & answers home Question Question
Enter keyword(s):   
Browse By Category Advanced Search

Q:  What type of records should I keep and for how long?


Records are to be kept, preserved, and presented upon the Department's request for a period of up to five years. Your records must demonstrate:


§          the amount of gross receipts and sales from all sources, including barter or exchange transactions.

§          the amount of all deductions, exemption, or credits claimed through supporting documentation.


Your records may include general ledgers and sales journals, bills, invoices, and cash register tapes. Records should also include federal and state tax returns, and reports, schedules, or work papers used to prepare tax reports or returns.

More information
WAC 458-20-254
More audit information
Related questions & answers
What happens after an audit?
What should I do if I don't agree with some of the audit adjustments?
How well did this answer your question?
 5 - Very well
 1 - Not at all