home home Questions & answers home Question Question
Enter keyword(s):   
Browse By Category Advanced Search

Q:  How am I taxable on the sale of an extended warranty when I am the warrantor?

A:  A separate charge for an extended warranty to a consumer by a warrantor is taxable under the retailing classification of the B&O tax. In addition, the warrantor (or the warrantor's in-state selling agent) must collect and remit the retail sales tax.
More information
Special Notice - Extended Warranties Now Subject to Sales Tax (pdf)
WAC 458-20-257
Auto Dealers Guide - Warranties
Related questions & answers
What is meant by a "separate charge" for an extended warranty?
I am a warrantor how do I report repairs made under an extended warranty?
How well did this answer your question?
 5 - Very well
 1 - Not at all