home home Questions & answers home Question Question
Enter keyword(s):   
Browse By Category Advanced Search

Q:  I have been hired to provide tax assistance to a Washington State taxpayer. Do I need a power of attorney to gain access to tax records?


No. Your client may authorize you to have access by using our Confidential Taxpayer Information Authorization form. Ask the taxpayer to complete the form and list you in Section 2. The Department of Revenue can disclose taxpayer information to a third party only if it has been authorized by the taxpayer.

The laws regarding access to confidential tax information vary by state. For more information regarding the use of a power of attorney in Washington State, read Chapter 11.94 RCW.

More information
Confidential Taxpayer Information Authorization form (pdf)
How well did this answer your question?
 5 - Very well
 1 - Not at all