Updated Jan. 21, 2021
Our offices are temporarily closed
Services are available online and our call center agents are ready to assist by phone or chat.
While offices are closed, there will be delays in processing incoming and outgoing U.S. mail. This includes things such as general correspondence, processing paper tax returns, applications, and/or permit requests, petitions or request for administrative review, and acknowledgment of any legal documents.
Legal process is accepted at our Tumwater office between 8 a.m. and noon, Monday – Friday.
In an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19, the Governor has implemented statewide restrictions. Revenue is offering relief for impacted businesses.
Revenue will provide payment extensions, upon request, to businesses in the industries directly impacted by these restrictions.
- Please request a payment extension before the due date.
- You are still being asked to file your returns by their original due dates even if you are unable to pay.
You may request a payment extension using one of the following methods:
- Self-Initiated Extensions – Qualifying businesses have the option of self-initiating a 30-day extension by applying in My DOR.
- Secure Message - Send a secure email using My DOR to request an extension.
- Call - Revenue’s customer service team is available to help at 360-705-6705, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you are unable to pay your tax return by the extended payment due date and don’t already have a payment plan, you have several options:
- Contact your local field office to discuss payment options.
- Take advantage of our new Self-Service Payment Plan tool.
- Call 1-800-631-4028 for assistance.
If you have an existing payment plan and need to delay a payment or make an adjustment, please contact your Revenue Agent directly to discuss options that may be available.
Revenue will waive interest from February 29, 2020 until the termination of the COVID-19 State of Emergency. At that time, interest will begin accruing on outstanding balances.
Tax returns filed and paid in full by the extended due date are considered timely, and will not incur interest.
Questions and Answers
- What if I missed the due date and need an extension?
If you missed the due date, request a penalty waiver when filing and paying your return along with an explanation of how the COVID-19 pandemic caused the delay.
- I already received an extension on a tax return, but still can't pay my return in full by the new due date. Can I get another extension?
No, multiple extensions can’t be granted for a single return. If you are unable to pay your return by the extended due date, please contact your local field office to inquire about payment options. You should still file the return by its due date and any payment you can make will reduce the penalty amount due.
- What if I have been, or need to work with the Department on a collection related issue?
If you are struggling to pay your tax liability due to COVID-19, our Revenue Agents are available to assist you. Cases will be handled based on each business’s unique situation. For assistance, please contact your Revenue Agent or local field office.
- What if I have a payment plan with the Department?
Upon request, Revenue will work with taxpayers that are impacted by COVID-19 to adjust payment plan amounts or extend payment dates. If your existing electronic payment plan has scheduled payments automatically debited from your account and you wish to adjust the payment amount or date, please contact your Revenue Agent before the scheduled payment date.
- What if I'm scheduled for an audit or under audit right now?
- The Department is scheduling audits to coincide with the Healthy Washington - Roadmap to Recovery plan, and specifically the phases for businesses to reopen.
- If your business is negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and has received an audit appointment letter, please contact the auditor to discuss the situation and options available.
- Audit team members will remain flexible in scheduling audits and continue encouraging electronic records to support social distancing.
- For audits in progress, Revenue staff will work with you to either issue the audit or provide an extension based on your preference.
- What happens if I am late renewing my business license during this time period?
The Department will waive the BLS delinquency fee on late renewals of licenses expiring February 2020 through the last full calendar month prior to the termination date of the State of Emergency.
The Department does not have the authority to extend business license expiration dates. If your license endorsements expired and you have not renewed, check with the state or local regulatory agency for your endorsement to determine if continued operation is allowed.
- Is relief available for periods prior to the COVID-19 State of Emergency?
No. Penalties and interest accrued prior to February 29, 2020, will not be waived. There will be no refunds for penalties and interest paid during the State of Emergency.
- What if I'm late applying for or renewing my non-profit property tax exemption?
The Department will waive penalties for nonprofit applications and renewals for exempt property until the termination of the COVID-19 state of emergency.
- What if I have questions about paying my property taxes?
Please contact your local county treasurer.
- What about estate tax returns?
Estates filing a Washington Estate Tax Return that are negatively impacted by the COVID-19 crisis can request an extension for the return and/or payment during the Governor’s state of emergency. Extension requests for payments will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
To request an extension or get more case specific information, please contact the Estate Tax Team at 360-704-5906, Option 2 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistance is available
Our services are available remotely. My DOR is available 24/7 for online filing. Our call center agents are ready to offer their assistance at 360-705-6705, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You may also reach us by sending a secure email in your My DOR account.
If you recently received something from us and need assistance, please contact us. We are here to help!