The Data Upload feature enables businesses that use electronic accounting systems and software programs the ability to load tax return data into the excise tax return, without data entry work.
The file uploaded is either generated using a text editor (such as Notepad) in a comma delimited format saved as a .txt file, or as an Excel file saved in a .csv format.
Getting the data ready for upload
Tag: Each line of data must have a descriptor that indicates the kind of data included in the line. Examples include: account information, tax and deductions.
Order: After each tag, the data must be in a formatted order.
Below is an example of a data upload for retailing, sales tax and local sales tax.
The first line of data is account information, and the Tag is Account.
|# ACCOUNT||Account ID||Period||Preparer||Phone|
The next lines of data is tax data, and the Tag is Tax.
|# TAX||Line code||Location code (0 for non-local)||Amount|
The next lines are for deductions, and the Tag is Ded.
|# DED||Line code||Deduction code||Amount||Explanation (Other Deductions Only)|
If you need assistance setting up the format for data upload, contact us at 360-705-6709.
Note: Do not include the dollar sign or any commas for dollar amounts. Any line or string of information that starts with a # sign does not get included in the data upload.
When the data is complete, the file should be saved. If it is an Excel document, it should be saved in a CSV format.
Steps to upload the data file
- From the excise tax return, choose Upload a file on the Select Taxes screen.
- A Filename bar will display. Click Choose File and locate the file you intend to upload.
- The upload process will begin automatically once the file is selected.
- A message will be displayed upon completion of the upload.
- If there is an error in the formatting, there will be an error message.
- If the file is without formatting errors, “No errors were found. Your upload was successful” will display.
- All tax classifications within the file are automatically added to your return. You may add additional classifications on the Select Taxes page. For example, some people only upload local sales tax and manually enter the Retailing and other B&O taxes.
- The upload data process is complete. Click Next in the lower right corner and complete the return. Error checks will take place on each page of the return.
For complete listings of all Tags and formatting see the data upload instructions.