Individuals, businesses, local government entities that are not in the light and power business or gas distribution business, and participants in a community solar project.
Except for a community and shared commercial solar projects, participants must generate electricity on their own property with an anaerobic digester, wind generator, or solar energy system and apply to their light and power company for a payment based on kilowatt hours produced and type of equipment used to produce the electricity.
- Interested persons should contact their light and power company and find out if the company participates in the program. Light and power companies are not required to participate.
- Completion of Renewable Energy System Cost Recovery Annual Incentive Payment Application or Community Solar Project Renewable Energy System Cost Recovery Annual Incentive Payment Application due by participants to light and power business by August 1.
- No Annual Tax Performance Report
- Electronic filing not required
- No incentive payments will be paid for kilowatt-hours generated after June 30, 2020.
On October 1, 2017, administration of the renewable energy cost recovery incentive program was transferred to the Washington State University Energy Program.
Customers who applied for certification after July 1, 2017 under the old program governed by RCW 82.16.120, administered by the Department of Revenue and have not received or applied for an incentive payment, may choose to de-certify and reapply under the new program administered by WSU under RCW 82.16.165. To request a de-certification packet, please contact the department at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- US mail:
Department of Revenue
Attn: SPECS Team
PO Box 47476
Olympia, WA 98504-7476
- Fax: 360-705-6174
For questions about the program, call Taxpayer account Administration at (360) 705-6218.