Taxpayer feedback shapes audit experience
The Department of Revenue's Audit Division regularly surveys businesses that were recently audited. The survey focuses on taxpayer satisfaction with the way the division provides services. It does not focus on the audit procedures, or the results of the audit. The survey results are used to identify areas where we can improve service delivery.
Fast facts about the survey
- The first audit survey was conducted in 1998. Subsequent surveys were conducted in 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- The 2018 survey will be under way soon.
- Questions in the current survey were streamlined to reduce the time needed to complete it.
Highlights from the 2017 survey responses
- 95.6% responded that they had reasonable time to provide the requested business records.
- 98.2% felt that they were responded to in a timely manner.
- 92% reported the audit was conducted with minimal inconvenience to their employees and business activities.
- 97.3% said they were treated with courtesy and respect.
- 94.7% stated that they have a better understanding of their state tax reporting responsibilities as a result of the audit.
Although we scored well in our 2017 survey, we continue to look for opportunities for improvement. We will continue to coach our staff to ensure that exceptional customer service is delivered throughout the audit process.
Thank you to all who responded to past surveys. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!