Monthly and Quarterly taxpayers must file and pay their taxes electronically. (Revised Code of Washington 82.32.080).
Monthly taxpayers have been required to file and pay electronically since Substitute Senate Bill 5571 was passed by the 2009 Legislature. Quarterly taxpayers have been required to file and pay electronically since Engrossed House Bill 1357 was passed by the 2011 Legislature.
Taxpayers who are unable to file and pay electronically may request a waiver.
How do I file my taxes electronically?
File your return electronically using My DOR, the Department’s online filing tool. To use My DOR, you must create a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) User ID. You will need your Account ID (Tax Registration/UBI Number) and Letter ID.
Once you create your account, select the File Tax Returns and Manage Payments option in the I Want To menu. Then, click File Return next to the period you wish to report. Follow the prompts.
Get electronic reminders
You can sign up for electronic due date reminders and sales tax rate changes.
On the Department of Revenue home page, select the Subscribe to email link in the lower left of the page. Follow the prompts.
How do I pay my taxes electronically?
You will find your payment options in My DOR, on the Select Payment Type page of the return.
Below is a description of each option:
Automated Clearing House (ACH)
- ACH Debit: You authorize the Department’s bank to withdraw the amount you owe from your bank account on the date you select.
- ACH Credit: You authorize your bank to send funds to the Department’s account. You must initiate this payment each time you submit payment.
You enter your bank account number and routing information to make a one-time payment. The transaction is free and only gives the Department permission to withdraw the amount that you authorize.
You enter your credit card information to make a one-time payment. You can use Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover. A 2.5% fee is charged by a non-state vendor for this service.
Benefits of using My DOR
Nearly a quarter million Washington businesses have already discovered the benefits of using My DOR. Whether you’re a small business or a CPA who handles multiple accounts, My DOR offers several advantages over traditional paper filing.
Benefits of My DOR include:
- 24/7 access to your tax return and payment system.
- Instantaneous delivery of your return with confirmation.
- Automatic error checking.
- Ability to customize your return to include only the classifications you need.
- Four payment options: ACH Debit, ACH Credit, E-check, and credit card.
- Ability to import data from software programs.
- Faster processing and fewer errors.
You may request a waiver. Reasons why a waiver may be granted include:
- You do not have a computer.
- You do not have access to the internet using your own computer.
- You do not have a bank account or a credit card.
- Your bank is unable to send or receive electronic funds transfer transactions.
To request a waiver, send a written request with explanation to:
Electronic Filing and Payment Team
Department of Revenue
PO Box 47476
Olympia, WA 98504-7476