Streamline licensing for your city businesses
Did you know more than 90 percent of businesses apply for and renew their licenses online?
The state Business Licensing Service (BLS) offers a "one-stop" local licensing solution to relieve the workload of license renewals. The free service works for more than 180 cities and towns with more joining BLS each month.
Connected and convenient for business
- Support your city staff and business community
Partnership with BLS supports your city staff and business community by removing roadblocks. This saves your local businesses time when they apply for and renew city and state licenses. Your staff, meanwhile, get fast turnaround, detailed reporting and increased compliance – with no added cost.
Our revenues increased 15 percent in the first year. With BLS, we are able to identify our businesses and their employees more easily.
~ Carrie Lewellen, Treasurer, City of Vancouver
- Benefits for city staff
- No mailings or collections.
- Licenses renewed annually by BLS.
- Payments managed by BLS.
- GIS integration requires licensing in city limits.
- Tax account discovery increases compliance and revenue.
- Local regulatory control.
- Benefits for businesses
- Intuitive licensing "wizard" for applicants.
- Dedicated licensing customer service phone line.
- No trip to city hall.
- On-demand license printing.
Cities retain local control & sign up for free
- As a BLS partner
As a BLS partner, you will continue to:
- Approve or deny local licenses.
- Close city business endorsements that are out of compliance.
BLS provides its service at no charge to all local governments.
- More than 200 city partners by 2023
In 2017, Lawmakers unanimously approved to have cities add a combined licensing service (Chapter 35.90 RCW). Our team is working with Washington cities for a smooth transition for partnering cities.
- Access ATLAS for local control
ATLAS is Revenue’s combined tax and licensing administration system. Cities access ATLAS through a portal to manage accounts and generate reports in real time.
"The ATLAS system is very intuitive and easy to understand. BLS made sure that our needs were met and that the system really works for us. Every comment and detail we shared about our internal process was taken into account and the system has already alleviated our workload."
~ Cheyenne Pantoja Wright, Clerk, City of Bingen
- Types of licenses available with BLS
Available types of licenses include:
- General business.
- Employee range.
- Head count (FTE).
- Home occupation.
- Fee exempt.
- Non-resident (out-of-city businesses).
BLS does not manage local regulatory licenses such as peddler’s licenses and temporary licenses.
To sign up or learn more about the benefits of partnership, call 360-705-6777,
For questions about how to add a license, see Grow a business or call 360-705-6741.