Other agencies to contact

For help starting your business, a list of appropriate registrations, permits, and requirements, visit Access Washington’s Doing Business in Washington.

Agency and information about:

Internal Revenue Service

Information on:
Federal employee withhold Social Security Medicare

Business Licensing Service

Information on:
Business License
Trade name registration

Department of Licensing

Information on:
Fuel tax questions Fuel tax refunds

Employment Security Department

Information on:
Unemployment insurance for employees

Department of Labor & Industries

Information on:
If you employ one or more persons you must apply for industrial insurance coverage with the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries.

WA Utilities and Transportation Commission

Information on:
Common Carrier Permit
Transportation Regulation

Secretary of State

Corporations Division information on:
Articles of Incorporation
Certificate of Limited Partnership Trademarks

City and county taxing offices

Information on:
If your city or county has business taxes and you are located within the city limits, you will need to register with the city taxing authority, such as the city auditor. Businesses located outside city limits should register with the county taxing authority, such as the county clerk’s office. Also, remember to contact your county assessor as soon as your business opens. Businesses are required to report personal property – assets used in the operation of a business – to the assessor. Personal property includes furniture, office equipment, machines, and supplies used in the course of doing business.