Marketplace seller definition
You are a marketplace seller if you make retail sales through either a physical or electronic marketplace operated by a marketplace facilitator. If you do not have physical presence nexus in Washington, you are a remote marketplace seller.
Marketplace sellers (without physical presence nexus)
Remote marketplace sellers making retail sales to Washington consumers—including sales made through a marketplace—may be required to register. Find out if you need to register.
Marketplace sellers (with physical presence nexus)
If you have physical presence, you must register with the department even if you do not meet an economic threshold.
Sales through a marketplace facilitator
If you make all of your retail sales through a marketplace facilitator, you do not need to collect and submit retail sales tax if you have proof that the facilitator is doing so on your behalf. You will still file and pay your B&O and other taxes.
Monthly report from marketplace facilitator
Marketplace facilitators are required to provide you with gross sales information for all Washington sales made on your behalf in the previous month. This report is due to you within 15 days of the end of the month. You should use this report to calculate your business and occupation and other taxes.
If you do not receive the report on time, you may estimate your B&O using a method that is either approved or required by the department.
If you meet a registration threshold, then you must file a tax return.
- Report your gross (marketplace and direct) Washington retail sales under Retailing B&O.
- Claim a No Local Activity deduction if you do not have B&O nexus in Washington.
- Report your gross Washington retail sales on the State Sales and Use page.
Take a deduction for your facilitated sales.
- Online: On the Deduction list, select Retail Sales Tax Collected by Facilitator, and enter your Washington sales through a marketplace.
- Paper return: In the Deduction section, under Retail Sales Tax mark Other, and write explanation Retail Sales Tax Collected by Facilitator.
On the Local Sales page, enter the sales by location.
- Sales through a marketplace: Do not enter these sales, they will automatically be deducted from your gross Washington sales.
- Direct sales (sales through your website, catalog, or in person): Enter each sale by location code.
Note: Sales tax is collected based on the location where the sale is sourced or delivered. Use the department’s sales and use tax tools to calculate the correct rate. To determine whether a product is subject to Washington sales tax use the taxability matrix.
Streamlined sales tax certified service provider
If a streamlined sales tax certified service provider (CSP) is reporting retail sales tax on your behalf, you are still required to file your own Washington excise tax return to report your B&O tax.
Call 360-704-5900 or email DORMarketplaceFairness@dor.wa.gov.