Private Investigator Agency
A Private Investigator Agency endorsement is required for any business that:
- Provides investigation, escort, or bodyguard services.
- Performs property loss prevention activities.
All agency owners, partners, or qualifying agents must:
- Be at least 18 years old, if applying for unarmed endorsement.
- Be at least 21 years old, if applying for armed endorsement.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Have no criminal convictions that directly relate to the capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or hinder public safety.
- Have a physical location in Washington.
Licensing requirements and additional supporting documents
- Business License Application.
- Private Investigative Agency/Principal Addendum.
Fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
- If you’re in Washington, go to identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- For more details, see fingerprinting and background checks.
- If you’re outside Washington, call the security guard program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
U.S. veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information visit the Education and Training | Licensing and Certification.
Private Investigator Agency with Unarmed Principal
Private Investigator Agency with Armed Principal
|State tax registration||$0|
|Registering your business name as a trade name||$5|
|Business License Application fee||Variable fee|
How to apply
Complete the licensing requirements above and mail to:
Business Licensing Service
P.O. Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034