Watch out for fake websites pretending to be SecureAccess Washington (SAW)! If you used a search engine to get to SAW, you might have clicked on ads that look real but actually lead to scams. Learn more.

Vehicle for Hire (Taxi)

A Vehicle for Hire (Taxi) endorsement is required for any business that transports passengers for a fee in for-hire vehicles, including:

  • Taxicabs, which are motor vehicles that transport people for a fee and do not have a fixed route or fixed starting and ending points.
  • Cabulances that transport riders confined to a wheelchair or otherwise physically restricted so they cannot be safely transported by public mass transportation, taxicabs, or automobiles.
    • Riders transported by cabulance must:
      • Be stable.
      • Not be incapacitated from medications.
      • Not need oxygen or medical attention en route.
  • Any other vehicles used for transporting passengers for payment.

Endorsement exemptions

Businesses that operate the following types of vehicles do not need a for hire endorsement:

  • Auto stages.
  • School buses operating exclusively under a contract to a school district.
  • Ride-sharing vehicles (Uber, Lyft, etc.).
  • Licensed limousine carriers.
  • Vehicles used by nonprofit organizations to transport the elderly or people with disabilities and their attendants.
  • Vehicles used by auto transportation companies.
  • Vehicles used to provide courtesy transportation at no charge to and from parking lots, hotels, and rental offices.
  • Vehicles licensed as excursion service carriers and charter carriers of passengers.

Licensing requirements and additional supporting documents

  • Business License Application.
  • For Hire Addendum signed by the local approving authority, or a copy of your local jurisdiction license.
  • Gather the following documentation:
    • Vehicle registration (copy) for each vehicle.
    • Certificate of Insurance.
  • The owner name and firm/trade name must be the same on the Business License Application, Vehicle Registration Certificate, and insurance.
  • The use class on the Vehicle Registration Certificate must be “F/H” or “CAB.”
  • The insurance information must:
    • Include your policy number.
    • Have policy effective and expiration dates that show current coverage.
    • Display the name of the insurance company.
    • Show minimum combined single limit coverage of $325,000 or split limit coverage of $300,000/$100,000/$25,000.
    • Show year, make and complete VIN number of each car, which must match Vehicle Registration Certificate.
    • List the certificate of holder as - State of Washington, Department of Licensing, PO Box 9039, Olympia, WA 98507-9039.

Change in name or address

Complete the For Hire/Limousine Name or Address Change form to report a change or address. When completed, email a copy of this form and any required documents to or fax to 360-570-4954.

State endorsement


For Hire Permit
(Required only if your city or county doesn’t endorse for-hire businesses.)


For Hire Vehicle Certificate

$55 per vehicle

Taxi Meters

$40 per meter

Additional fees

State tax registration $0
Registering your business name as a trade name $5
Business License Application fee Variable fee

How to apply


Add a state endorsement to your business

Apply for a new business license

Online assistance
Setting up your business licensing and tax account
How to add a state endorsement

By mail

Complete the licensing requirements above and mail to:

Business Licensing Service
P.O. Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034