A Vehicle for Hire (Taxi) endorsement is required for any business that transports passengers for a fee in for-hire vehicles, including:
- Taxicabs, which are motor vehicles that transport people for a fee and do not have a fixed route or fixed starting and ending points.
- Cabulances that transport riders confined to a wheelchair or otherwise physically restricted so they cannot be safely transported by public mass transportation, taxicabs, or automobiles.
- Riders transported by cabulance must:
- Be stable.
- Not be incapacitated from medications.
- Not need oxygen or medical attention en route.
- Any other vehicles used for transporting passengers for payment.
Businesses that operate the following types of vehicles do not need a for hire endorsement:
- Auto stages.
- School buses operating exclusively under a contract to a school district.
- Ride-sharing vehicles (Uber, Lyft, etc.).
- Licensed limousine carriers.
- Vehicles used by nonprofit organizations to transport the elderly or people with disabilities and their attendants.
- Vehicles used by auto transportation companies.
- Vehicles used to provide courtesy transportation at no charge to and from parking lots, hotels, and rental offices.
- Vehicles licensed as excursion service carriers and charter carriers of passengers.
Licensing requirements and additional supporting documents
- Business License Application.
- For Hire Addendum signed by the local approving authority, or a copy of your local jurisdiction license.
- Gather the following documentation:
- Vehicle registration (copy) for each vehicle.
- Certificate of Insurance.
- The owner name and firm/trade name must be the same on the Business License Application, Vehicle Registration Certificate, and insurance.
- The use class on the Vehicle Registration Certificate must be “F/H” or “CAB.”
- The insurance information must:
- Include your policy number.
- Have policy effective and expiration dates that show current coverage.
- Display the name of the insurance company.
- Show minimum combined single limit coverage of $325,000 or split limit coverage of $300,000/$100,000/$25,000.
- Show year, make and complete VIN number of each car, which must match Vehicle Registration Certificate.
- List the certificate of holder as - State of Washington, Department of Licensing, PO Box 9039, Olympia, WA 98507-9039.
Change in name or address
Complete the For Hire/Limousine Name or Address Change form to report a change or address. When completed, email a copy of this form and any required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 360-570-4954.
For Hire Permit
(Required only if your city or county doesn’t endorse for-hire businesses.)
For Hire Vehicle Certificate
$55 per vehicle
$40 per meter